What is Neurofeedback? Neurofeedback Treatments at The Brain Clinic in NYC
- Neurofeedback (EEG Biofeedback) is a non-invasive method of direct brain function training. It is a specific type of biofeedback, and is also called EEG Biofeedback. It uses electrodes placed on the patient’s scalp to record the EEG, or brainwaves, and control auditory, visual, and/or tactile feedback which allows learning to take place. This operant learning initiates self-regulation, and enhances relaxation, both necessary components of good brain function.
How does Neurofeedback Work?
- Neurofeedback targets the underlying dysregulation in brain activity that can exacerbate, and sometimes cause, clinical symptoms. This influence may also encourage neurophysiological resilience with the induction of brain flexibility, relaxation, and a steadier central nervous system. For example, if one’s neuroanatomy and physiological health, is over-stimulated, or under-aroused, mental illnesses with various symptoms may manifest behaviorally, psychologically, emotionally, and/or physically. Disorders such as anxiety and depression may have a base in neurophysiology which consequently can be targeted for training. A brain with greater flexibility has the capacity to more healthily adapt to challenging life situations.
- Neurofeedback has been shown to be effective in treating the following conditions:
How long does it take to start seeing improvements?
- In order for neurofeedback to have a good chance of working, the patient should plan on coming at least twice per week for a minimum of 10 weeks.
What Equipment is Used?
- At The Brain Clinic, we use the following Neurofeedback devices:
What Fees are Involved?
- Neurofeedback and Biofeedback are $275./session.
Is there insurance coverage?
- Sometimes insurance will cover biofeedback, ask your insurance person if they cover CPT code 90876.
Where Can I Read More About Neurofeedback?
- Click on the article titles below to read more about neurofeedback.
This video shows an EEG Biofeedback Demonstration produced by The Brain Clinic in New York City.
To request information or to make an appointment please fill out the form with detailed information below, please click the link below.