A learning disability is determined when a person has a learning function (such as reading) that is significantly below average compared to the general population. There must be problems in more than one setting, such as work, school and/or home.
Learning disability evaluations administered at the Brain Clinic include:
- comprehensive reading assessments
- examinations of the underlying cognitive processeses
- phonological processing assessments
- memory functioning assessments
- processing speed assessments
A learning disability evaluation consists of the following:
- an overall intelligence battery, including tests like the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children-V (WISC-V) or the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-IV (WAIS-IV)
- achievement tests which measure underlying cognitive problems, such as the Woodcock-Johnson Battery-IV (WJ-IV)
Dyslexia is the most common learning disability, comprising about 85% of people who have a learning disability. Other forms of learning disabilities exist, and the evaluation can be tailored to assess them. For example, a nonverbal learning disability is often associated with poor math and visual reasoning abilities as compared to the general population. Usually additional testing needs to be done in these cases.
Brief Learning Evaluation:
The Brief Learning Evaluation is designed to give you an explanation of whether or not you have a learning disability. The Brief Evaluation is a specially designed 4-5 hour test battery that consists of the the following:
- an intelligence test
- attention and concentration measures
- a reading speed and comprehension assesment
- a personality assessment
A short report is written to explain the findings.
The Brief Evaluations are not designed for children under 16, and do not qualify as proof of ADD/ADHD or a learning disability in high stakes testing situations, such as extra time for the GRE, MCAT, or LSAT. The Brief Evaluations may not be sufficient for college disability offices; you have to ask what tests they require.
Visit fees page for information about pricing and insurance
QUESTIONS? SIGN UP FOR TESTING TODAY, CONTACT US. CLICK HERE